Assembling At Last

One of the problems of having several projects in the works is that one is always pushed aside and often neglected.

After finishing the three knit vests, I decided it was time to get back in my sewing room and work on my half-square triangle project. This has been a tedious project with a lot of fiddling and fussing.

First came the organization of the scraps - the picking and the pressing, which I did in August.

Then, the project progressed to sewing and trimming in late August and early September.

I auditioned several layouts for the blocks, and thanks to your comments and opinions, I selected one. I made the mistake of not trimming the half-square triangles to the same size after they were stitched, which stalled the project for a long, long time. I hated to think about trimming and squaring stacks of the half-square triangles, yet I pushed on and made them all the same size.

Monday, I settled in to finally do some sewing. What layout did I choose?

Since these are all scraps and I am limited to the number of blocks I can make, I determined that layout "G" would work the best. I could easily add sashing and not change the appearance of the block and the secondary design too much.

Even though it is slow going (I am working on one block at a time instead of chain stitching), I am making some progress.

With any luck, I will use all the scraps and be finally be finished with this fabric. As much as I like the fabric, I am getting tired of working with it. Remember I have made two other quilts with these fabrics: Duluth Stars and Scrappy Spools.

Comments

  1. Nice layout. I think you made a good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh, I like this a lot! .
    (My word verification is complete. I wonder if that is my word for the day!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quilt is beautiful! Scrap quilts are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous! working on this kind of project would make me insane (ADD). Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blocks. I always love it when the blocks make an auxiliary pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so good. What a great use of triangles! I've been missing in action recently just focused on things other than the computer. Finally getting back to reading blogs -- yikes, I've been at it for two hours and still have over 200 posts to read. Happy to get to yours as I always enjoy it so. Hum, so Rich with the golden hair and photos of him dressed like a girl ... did it cause him problems through the years??? Just curious. Those were some curls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. good choice, I think that setting will turn out very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhhhh...that's going to be beautiful! I tried to learn how to quilt but just didn't find it to my liking. You make it look so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The big ones need a lot of patience and craftsmanship.You have done a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a wonderful scrappy quilt. Lovely use of lots of scraps!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.