Simple Woman's Daybook

Monday, December 14, 2008

Outside My Window. . . the sky is gray, and the air is cold. It is 3 degrees, but the wind chill is -15 degrees. This morning, it was -10 (wind chill was -30) when I left for my volunteer shift. I would have preferred staying home.

I am thinking. . . that Hawaii sounds pretty good right now. Hmmm, is it too late to book a Christmas flight?

I am thankful... for the heated seats in my car. Nothing like a warm tush on a cold, cold day.

In the kitchen... are grocery bags that need to be unpacked and the items stored in the pantry. I seem to purchase more groceries in the winter.

I am wearing... sweat pants and a turtle neck.

I am creating... a pair of self-striping socks, a garter stitch block for a lapghan, and another hat.

I am planning... to make some treats for my neighbors. I usually make a tray of cookies or other treats as a holiday gift.

I am reading... Vinegar Hill by A. Manette Ansay. The book is interesting and well written; however, I only read in short bursts on Sunday afternoons.

I am praying... for strength to resist temptations to overeat. I am gaining too much weight. I love food, and it is especially hard because my choices are not always healthy.

I am hearing... the roar of a portable space heater. The cement floor of my neighbor's new garage was recently poured. Now, the structure is covered in plastic, and the heater is helping dry the cement and keeping it from cracking from the cold.

One of my favorite things... the electric candles, in all of my windows. During the month of December and until Epiphany, the candles are illuminated. After my neighbors' holiday lights have been extinguished, the candles in my windows burn on. They are on 24 hours a day, welcoming all who seek shelter or desire hope in a dark world.

A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week: attend a holiday party tomorrow afternoon and, hopefully, finish writing Christmas cards.

A quote worth sharing...

"Do your litttle bit of good where you are;
it's those little bits of good put together
that overwhelm the world."

~ Archbishop Desmond Tutu ~




~If you'd like to participate in The Simple Woman's Daybook (each Monday), you can visit The Simple Woman's blog here. To get instructions for participating, click on The Simple Woman's Daybook icon in her sidebar.

Comments

  1. Nancy,
    Man, it is really freezing there..Keep warm:)
    I am finishing up my cards tonite...just a little behind..LOL
    Hawaii sounds wonderful:) I love sunny weather.
    Have a great week:)

    Hugs,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nancy,

    I love reading your blog. You have such a unique style. The inclusion of senses with what you're doing is such a nice touch. Keep up the great work & Happy Holidays.

    P.S. I'm jealous of your neighbors - haha

    phtony

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know who first thought of seat heaters, but he/she is a genius in my book.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.