Simple Woman's Daybook

Monday, December 8, 2008

Outside My Window. . . is a gloomy day. The sun is trying to shine through the clouds, but a storm is looming. I know the wind is blowing, as the smaller tree branches are swaying. I admire trees; they are perfect role models. Their core is strong and hardly moves when the world around them is in turmoil. My goal is to be more like a tree with my faith as the core. Though I may be assaulted with troubles and worries, I strive to withstand the brunt of the storm with my core to keep me steady. Yes, I want to be like a tree.

I am thinking. . . that I can not control the actions and behavior of those around me. I can only control my own actions and thoughts.

I am thankful... for the opportunity to stay home today. Normally, I volunteer on Monday mornings, but another lady wanted the shift today. I am content to stay home and be lazy.

In the kitchen... my breakfast awaits: oatmeal heating in the microwave.

I am wearing... my pajamas and robe. I am enjoying my idleness this morning.

I am creating... a cowl from scrap sock yarn, a baby blanket, cowls, and stitch markers.

I am planning... to knit up as much of my scrap yarn stash as I can before the end of the year. I managed to make a dent this week, and with any luck, I may reach my goal.

I am reading... Vinegar Hill by A. Manette Ansay. It is such a sad book: the character's life is so out of control, yet she can do nothing about her circumstances, at least so far.

I am praying... for my neighbors. He has lung cancer and is taking daily radiation treatments for which he must travel four hours round trip.

I am hearing... the rumble of construction equipment down the street where a neighbor is building a garage.

One of my favorite things... a small, silver locket that my brother gave me about forty years ago.

A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week: attend a dinner party with my knitting group and write some Christmas cards.

Here is picture thought I am sharing...



Have patience with little ones.
Help them contribute to the world around them.


This photo was taken about two years ago at the B-17 bomber exhibit. It was the last photo I took that day, and I felt fortunate to catch the scene between this man and the little girl. She was so intent on tying his shoe. I am sure his laces were a mass of knots when she finished, but she felt good about what she was doing because she was "helping."


~If you'd like to participate in The Simple Woman's Daybook (each Monday), you can visit The Simple Woman's blog here. To get instructions for participating, click on The Simple Woman's Daybook icon in her sidebar.

Comments

  1. I hope you had a very relaxing Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you said about being like a tree, Nancy. That is so true. It reminds me of the scripture in Jeremiah (can't remember the address right now), "For he shall be as a tree planted by the waters, and that spreadeth out her roots by the river, and shall not see when heat cometh, but her leaf shall be green; and shall not be careful in the year of drought, neither shall cease from yielding fruit.".

    I loved reading your daybook, as always. The picture is precious, and it does tell a great story in itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat picture. I'm sorry for your neighbor. I hope the treatments go well for him.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.