Working on Julie's Gems

star blocks in various stages
July 2022

The last two afternoons, I've been working on the project I adopted from JulieK. When I work on blocks, I usually break things down into sections that I can chain-piece and prep for the next step. 

Since Julie had everything cut out, it was easy to sit down at the machine and sew all of the flying geese units and press them. The next time I came back to the machine, I added the corner pieces to some of the flying geese, and sewed the side flying geese units to the center square. 

twenty completed star blocks

I finished the last star block at 5PM yesterday and placed them on the carpet for a photo right next to the small "rainbow" created by a prism in my living room window. Prisms intrigue me, and I have them hung in several windows to catch the afternoon sun.

I've decided to pair these light blue stars with some stars made with a dark blue fabric from my stash. I hope to get the fabric selected and the parts cut out by the weekend. 

Comments

  1. Just beautiful--it had to be worked on right away! (I love prisms, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a box full of prisms I rescued from my class science kits that we tossed back in the 80's. I just found them the other day when I was unpacking my display stuff. I used to keep them on the windowsill but I think the cats would have too much fun with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow look at all you have accomplished!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful stars. I really love that light blue fabric she used. I do the same thing - organizing the tasks into steps like you did. Seems like I make fewer mistakes while sewing that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice - I'm looking forward to seeing the darker blue fabric with these. We have crystals hanging in our kitchen windows to catch the morning and afternoon light. Our cats Maestro and Tyg would try to climb the walls chasing the rainbows when we would move the crystals a bit. We tend to get more rainbows in the winter time (lower sun), so it will be fun to see how Mabel reacts to them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it, love it, love it! Hurrah for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice! I have little rainbows here too when the sun shines...so cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love prisms too! I have a little glass puffer fish that I have hanging in the kitchen window, but we don't get much direct sun in that window so he never makes prisms. I think Im going to move him to the bathroom window.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking forward to seeing the finished quilt top. It’s interesting how people plan their quilting differently. I seldom cut out a whole quilt. I often cut out a couple of blocks at a time and then sew them together. Your method makes for better pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.