Playing with Color

colorful sock blanks
October 2021

Thursday afternoon my kitchen table was covered with plastic and littered with bottles of dye and small sponge brushes. I invited Pat (a neighbor) over to dye yarn. I had two skeins of worsted weight that she preferred and some sock blanks for myself. 

Using Wilton icing gels, we prepared our favorite colors. I wanted to try some ideas I found online, and she wanted to just explore the process. 

Pat “painted” her skeins with three colors

Since this was Pat’s first experience with dyeing yarn, she “painted” the two skeins of worsted, and we kettle cooked the last two sock blanks so Pat could see that process, too. 

It was a fun afternoon. 

Comments

  1. I've never heard of painting yarn with gel food coloring or heard of sock blanks. I have to look those up and learn more. Very interesting!!! Will you show us results?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy , they are fantastic co1ors. Great job. I got a bit confused using a sock b1ank because I ro11ed it first, which I reaized 1ater is not the way you knit with it. Know I KNOW! and the ha11oween one is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have never heard of this and look forward to seeing the resultls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a fun time! Love the colors you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! I've used a sock blank before but it was pre-dyed. I've never heard of using food dye. I haeve dyed yarn using koolaid and the microwave though.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful!!! I haven't done that in ages. I used to love to dye sock blanks. They are so much fun to knit because you never know what you are going to get.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun day, hope all that messy dye was kept under control. I had never heard of sock blanks so had to look it up. And found that they are produced here in New Zealand too, who would have known!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So the sock yarn is knit and then died and unraveled as you knit your socks? That sounds like a lot of fun. Yes, please share the finished socks when done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful time!!!! And knitting pleasure in the future to look forward to, also!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.