Stitch in Time

outdoor flag repair
August 2020

I spent some time on Monday repairing several of my outdoor flags. I have several and change them with the seasons. My apartment faces west, so the flags take a beating in the Fall and Winter. I've discovered that a small zig zag stitch protects the flags much better than the straight stitch the manufacturer uses. By repairing the hems this way, I am able to extend the life of the flags.


I continue the stitches up the sides to the mid-way point. It's the bottom of the flapping flag that takes a beating.  Just like with every product, the older flags in my collection are made of a thicker and better quality fabric: the newer ones are flimsy and are damaged more easily. 


Comments

  1. That is the truth. The quality of the newer flags is terrible. I stop putting them out because they didn't last the season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right! Newer products are not worth the money - so much is shabbily made these days. Great fix for your flags.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Newer everything is inferior in quality , unfortunately.
    Thanks for the reinforcing tip---I will do this for the brand new I buy and then it might indeed live up to the saying, "A stitch in time, saves nine!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good way to "make do"!

    You don't know how many times I want to go up to someone flying a torn American flag and say ......you need to fix that!!! I know they can't be replacing them with every tear, but they can FIX them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job! I haven't put out my little flag holder at all since Christmas. My house faces north, and like your the flags really take a beating from the weather. My husband cleaned the garage last week, so now I'm wondering where the little iron stake for my flags is hiding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A brilliant fix for your flags! Why do new things have to be made so cheaply? Last year I had thought of buying some of the flags for the house, but when I looked at them, I realized they would never last.
    Take care my friend.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some of my older ones are in great shape. The newer ones not so much, I usually change mine once a month! That is a great fix for your flags! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kudos to you for fixing the flags. Not too many folks would repair a damaged flag. We are the smart ones who know how to make the repair and have the time and inclination to repair them. Although, I never have repaired any. We no longer have a big flag holder and only have a few of the smaller flags that don’t get put out often.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those cheerful flags are worth the repair Nancy!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.