A Small Victory

Google comment box to nowhere
February 2020
I've been frustrated the last two weeks because I could not comment directly on several blogs that I regularly read. I finally started commenting via email IF I had that person's private email address. Commenting on the posts I read is something I enjoy because the comments connect me directly to the blog author. I've developed some wonderful friendships with other blogger simply by commenting.

Recently, the photo above is what I encountered on nearly half of the blogs that I read faithfully every morning. The "Google Account" tab shows that I was not signed in, but in reality, I was. Any comment written in the comment box would not publish even though it disappeared when I hit "Publish."

I contacted Blogger about the problem. Honestly, they were not very helpful but suggested that I switch my internet browser to Chrome, which incidentally is a Google product, as is Blogger. Can you say "conflict of interest"?

Through trial and error, I discovered I could comment IF the blog did not have embedded comments (comments on the same page as the original blog post.) About half of the blogs I routinely read did not have embedded comments. Dee helped me confirm that the embedded comments were the problem.

Then finally, Blogger came through with a possible solution - make sure the "Cross-site Tracking" was turned off in my browser settings. I really didn't want to do that, but commenting on blogs is something that I enjoy and want to continue doing.
Browser settings on iPad
If you or someone you know has been having problems not being able to comment on blogs, I can attest that changing the setting (circled in red in the above image) did solve the problem. This "Fix" is definitely much easier than sending email comments to individual bloggers or changing web browsers. Right now, I'm happy to chalk up a small victory in the technology column.

Comments

  1. Great job.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did great getting to the bottom of this. The internet can be a great blessing as well as a huge frustrations. Glad you were able to track down the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you were able to find a fix.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't sign in under my knitting blog identity anymore so I have to leave comments just as a name which I have to put in by hand after going through lots of security steps. It's so annoying. I have a Chromebook so the switching to Google Chrome advice wouldn't work for me either since I already have it. It's so frustrating because I am treated like an anonymous stalker whenever I visit blogs. Google will only recognize the account I used years ago to blog my daughter's wedding which is a private blog now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Google customer service is a nightmare. I never did get an answer to ANY of my emails over the issue I was having before I moved my blog to Wordpress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a similar issue last year. Do you remember? It's SO frustrating. I had difficulty getting help too, but finally someone suggested switching my brower to Chrome which definitely helped. Right now, the only blog that I can't comment on is a WordPress blog. I have to comment on that one with my iPad but all others are now working with my MacBook.
    I agree that commenting is one of the things I enjoy most about blogging. I have made some wonderful friendships here that mean the world to me.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't stand Google, but it's a necessary evil, I guess. I refuse to use Chrome (too many problems). Never had commenting problems myself, but I can imagine how frustrating that is! Commenting and forming blogging friendships is important to all of us! Blessings to you, Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on getting to the bottom of it. You have more patience than I!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pleased its all sorted now, how frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you found a work around. I have embedded comments because I can reply right there. I also use Chrome so I have never had a problem:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have had others have problems with one of my blogs, but they have blogs at other sites. Another told me to solve it, to use embedded comments but I prefer pop-up so I can scroll and look at the post as I comment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmmm, thanks for the tech lesson-really! I'm glad you can comment again! i am glad that blogger allows all of my comments to come to my email again-what a convenience!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for this. I haven’t had trouble lately but there was a time when I could not comment on blogger and it was so frustrating,

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.