American Star

American Star
56 x 79 inches
Quilt of Valor #160
August 2019
I sent the last three QOV to a gentleman near Riverton, WY who is a volunteer longarmer. I asked if the group had enough quilts to award to the veterans in November. Here is his response:

This year is a “make as many as we can year.” At last count we have about 350 nominees and 75-80 quilts. I’m hoping for 100 quilts going into November, but we’ll see what happens. As they say, “the best you can with the tools you’ve got.”

We awarded 28 quilts in Lander last spring, then another 11 at Atlantic City this summer. Needless to say that cut into our Veteran’s Day count of available QOVs. PLUS there have been a few “home awards” along the way.

Have a good day and thanks again for your help!

Larry

* * * * * *

I decided to dig into my stash and whip up some quick quilts (large pieces/big blocks). I finished American Star in two days; I could have finished it in one, but life got in the way. I've since started two more quilts (using some of the fabric Sharon F. in VA donated). Every quilt that is finished will be awarded to a waiting veteran, and that makes me very happy.


Comments

  1. Wow! So many nominees and fewer quilts. How do they decide who gets one? So nice that you are doing your best to make some more. This one is really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simple design but so striking. That is a big goal for the group to reach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you will be keeping your sewing machine humming along. Did I tell you my sister is making QOV now too? She's enjoying the group she sews with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a nice big block! And I think it's such a wonderful cause you are supporting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a pretty quilt top - I love that design. Wish I were able to sew right now - I'd whip up one or two. I may still be able to in October - would you be able to share contact information?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! And that number 160!!! is, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For a simple quilt with large pieces it sure has a stunning impact. I wish I was a quilter. That is such a huge goal and not enough quilts to go around. From someone who has lots of veterans in our family, I thank you so much for using your time and talents for our veterans.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are the coolest ever! Love your star quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How beautiful! That would have taken me a year to pull off. You rock!!! Araignee

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent work on this top! It's tough to keep the interest up with the quilts now and that is sad!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That really works nicely. What size are the blocks in the star? I seem to run out of red, white and blue fabric all the time. But this one works with a lot of variety so I may be able to do one like this....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.