Foreign Friday

Hiroshima Peace Memorial
(A-bomb Dome)
Hiroshima, Japan
April 1980
One of the most emotional tours I took while in Japan was in Hiroshima, the site where the first atomic bomb was dropped; thus, ending World War II. Photos from those tours will be posted in the weeks ahead.

According to Wikipedia:
    At 8:15 on August 6, 1945, Little Boy — the first atomic bomb to be used in war — detonated almost directly above the dome (shown the the photo above). The building's vertical columns were able to resist the nearly vertical downward force of the blast, and parts of the concrete and brick outer walls remained intact. The center of the blast was displaced 490 feet (150 m) horizontally and 1,968 feet (600 m) vertically from the dome, having slightly missed the original target, the distinctive "T"-shaped Aioi Bridge. Everyone inside the building was killed instantly.

Comments

  1. Stark and striking, but how amazing that the dome withstood the impact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I visited Hiroshima, I was so impressed by the peaceful, non-judgmental feeling that enveloped the memorial. While recognizing the past, the focus seemed to be on the future, and how we all should work toward peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a horrible time in history....let's hope that we can all move forward from there. An amazing piece of structure.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a reminder of the horror of that day. I bet it was quite an emotional tour! This is so interesting to see your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hated even reading about Hiroshima in High School. What a horrible day for humanity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sad and amazing!! It is one of those things I can hardly bear to look at and yet I can hardly take my eyes off of it. Thank you for sharing the pictures. I'm looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting..I am looking forward to more ..it was a tough decision..and it ended the war. Harry S. Truman was a heck of a man..and I respect his decision:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, what we do to each other! Great but sad picture!
    Rebel Follower

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.