Knotty Yarn

I like the look of this sock, but I am displeased with the yarn. While knitting the first sock, I found three places where the yarn was knotted, and when I wound the remaining yarn after finishing the sock, I discovered three additional knots. I understand that yarn does and will break during the manufacturing process, but to have six knots in one skein is five too many for me. I do not allow knots in my work and get cranky when I have so many ends to weave. The yarn makes a nice, dense sock. I just do not like the abundance of knots in this particular skein.

I've had a few people ask how to make a matched pair of socks from self-striping yarn. The trick is to begin the cast-on at a distinctive color change. I make note of where I began and do the same on the second sock. I am seldom disappointed with the result. This pair may change my luck since it is plagued with knots, but so far it is behaving.

Comments

  1. I would be very frustrated with 6 knots!! There was a discussion on one of my groups about the goodwill that yarn companies should put forth when something like this occurs; the $10-12 they have to invest to replace your yarn is minimal compared to the bad publicity.

    I've never used Kertzer... do you like it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've used this brand of yarn a lot (the cotton/wool blend) and have rarely come across a knot. The company really should have caught this skein before it went out with their name on it. Six knots is too many!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I echo all the complaints of the knots and want to say thank you for explaining how to make a match:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, knots definitely make it hard to match up your socks. Despite the knots your yarn is really pretty...love the blues :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.