Come Fly With Me

Come Fly With Me
Quilt of Valor
56 x 70 inches
Come Fly With Me is number 14 in the Quilt of Valor 12 in 2012 Challenge.

When I saw this pattern at a local quilt shop, I knew immediately it was going to become a Quilt of Valor. I've never used so much black in a quilt, but I love the look of this one so much that I am going to make at least one more.

The flying geese blocks are 5 x 15 inches finished.

The cooler temperatures over the weekend allowed me to do quite a bit of sewing because I could open the windows and turn on the iron. It's amazing how much heat an iron can generate in a house that doesn't have air-conditioning and the outside temperature is in the 90s or 100s. On those HOT days, it's more comfortable to knit during the day than to sew.

Update October 24, 2012: this quilt was shown on Alycia's blog today

Comments

  1. I hear you about the iron, so on those days I do a lot of finger pressing. I like the way Judy Martin does it: with a thumb nail on her thigh. It works wonderfully. Love this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great quilt!
    It's amazing how much heat the iron and the lights produce. I'm lucky to have an ac unit in my sewing room. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a most unusual quilt...wish I could see it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a distinctive pattern! It's quite striking.

    We have a break from the heat; I hope you get one too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty.

    I don't know that I could even knit at those temperatures. Glad it cooled off for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nancy - that's a great quilt. How are you with the smoke from the fires? g

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this quilt!! I've never seen one like it. So glad the weather is cooling for you. I don't know how you get by with 100 degrees and no air conditioning. I would be sitting in front of a BIG fan! It's hard to knit in that much wind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow ...it soars.....yes a little iron makes a lot of heat I agree. The cooler weather is glorious here
    In Chicago area

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are stepping out of the box. I love the black and white with this quilt. Awesome!
    Rebel Follower

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow that's different!! Love it
    Cheers
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like that this quilt will go to just the right soldier! I had to check out the picture of the quilt you made earlier of the same pattern. How different they look, using a different color scheme. Well done. I also watched the video you posted which explains why you are making QOV. So touching. Keep up the good work; it appears to make a significant impact on many brave Americans!

    ReplyDelete