Comfort Food

Sunday’s supper
Bierock/Runza/Kraut Burger
January 2022

A week ago, a woman on the Next Door app was taking orders for Bierocks: the Moose Lodge was having a fund-raiser. Some people on the app didn’t know what the group was selling, but Bierocks (aka runzas or kraut burgers or cabbage rolls) were a popular meal that Ferne and Rosie prepared in the school cafeteria nearly 40 years ago. One of my coworkers even wore a loose dress when cabbage rolls were on the lunch menu so she could enjoy seconds. My friend Sue occasionally made a batch of cabbage rolls and shared some with me. Thanks, Sue

I ordered a dozen (they freeze well) from the Moose and picked them up yesterday afternoon. The building smelled amazing, and all I had to do was follow my nose! 

It seems odd to have a German meal with a Mexican beer, but favorites tend to go together. 😉

Do you have a favorite dish that you rarely prepare? 

Comments

  1. Never heard of these but would love to try one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sound delicious! I have never had one before but my mom used to make the best stuffed cabbage. It was so much work that I've never tried to make it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I fixed one of my husband's favorites yesterday in the crockpot - chicken and noodles. It smelled good all afternoon, and tasted good for supper. Not my favorite, but he even complimented it - which is rare around here. LOL I really like cabbage, but never acquired a liking for runzas or any stuffed cabbage dish. I love it just lightly steamed and with butter, lemon, salt and pepper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just had Runza's on Saturday! They are SO good. I've never had one that's homemade though. That sounds delicious.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I heard about these the other year from either your blog or Betsy's. They do sound good - I like everything in them. I can't think of any dish I really like that I rarely make. I enjoy cooking a lot, so am happy to make stuff all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have an Alsacian dish that I rarely make. It makes a huge amount and really hard to reduce the recipe for just two.

    It has sauerkraut, bratwurst, sweet sausage, potatoes, red grapes and is simply awesome on a cold night.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen such a 'sandwich' but it looks delicious! How wonderful for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. DH just asked for a pot roast, so that's what I'll making soon... Wish me luck, it's been a while!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nope if it is a favorite I work it into the menu plan. Well I do like lobster but it is just too expensive right now! We are eating some different foods here...tonight was a noodle dish Louisianna or Cajun something...it had peppers and a sauce, bow tie noodles and then chicken and mushrooms on top/ I passed on the mushrooms. It was okay I would never make it:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.