Open or Closed?

One of my teeth has been giving me problems — achy, sensitive to cold, sensitive to exhaling cold air. From experience, I know how difficult it is to get treatment close to the holidays. I made an appointment with my regular dentist, and after he ran some tests, he recommended I see an Endodontist for a root canal. Not a problem unless, said Endodontist is in a neighboring town and . . . this happens. 


Yep, the Interstate and secondary roads to Cheyenne were closed from Friday to Sunday. 


WYDOT had snow plows working, but the wind was horrendous and delayed the opening again and again. 

Trucks and private vehicles were lined up in all the major towns, waiting for the green light.

Sunday morning I noticed that the interstate was open between Laramie and Cheyenne for eastbound traffic. I knew it probably wouldn’t be too long before all the gates would be open, so I made plans to leave and hopefully be ahead of the impatient truckers and travelers who had been stranded since Friday. 

Just as I was ready to leave, I saw this post on Facebook  . . .

. . . the interstate was closed again because of crashes. 

Mid-morning on my way to Cheyenne, I saw three trucks, one pickup pulling a trailer, and two other cars. It was eerie to drive on the deserted interstate. The digital signs warned of strong winds (60+ mph) and extreme blow over risk for high profile vehicles. The winds were strong, and it required both hands gripping the wheel. 

the red arrows show the wind speed of the area I traveled on Sunday 

When I arrived in Cheyenne, trucks were lined up everywhere, and highway patrol vehicles were very visible. The westbound lanes were still closed to traffic

I’m glad I decided to go to Cheyenne on Sunday for my Monday appointment. I need to get the tooth fixed before everything is closed for the holidays.

Hopefully, I’ll be able to return home after my appointment . . . IF the roads are open!

Comments

  1. I am worried about you going...I know you are so, so careful...but that looks awful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for your safe return and fixed tooth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! Blizzards already!! Stay safe and warm. Hope your tooth can be fixed quickly and that you can safely get home. Take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you get the tooth fixed! Travel safely, those winds sounded horrible:(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pack a bag. You might be staying over.

    Hope the roads stay open and safe for you. Good luck with the tooth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my! Our usual 2 hour ride to youngest son's on Fri turned out to take 4 1/2 hours due to an over-turned tractor trailer but there was no bad weather to blame it on! lol I hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boy, do we know about being stuck there when I-80 was closed. Last year on our way back to Spokane. We were one of the only cars when the road finally opened. You definitely live in an extreme weather area. Please be careful and I hope you packed a bag.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you left early and we safe. We just never know how the roads will be in this part of the country do we?

    My husband left on Saturday morning about 11:00 to drive about 80 miles to watch our granddaughter's first basketball game. I left about 11:30 to drive across town for our Sew Vintage group Christmas party. He texted me about noon to say he had gone 11 miles on I-90 before turning around at the first town due to the horrible road conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope everything comes out ok. Dixie is heading to Colorado for Christmas. I'm sure she is watching for a break in the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an ordeal! I hope things clear up for you to get home!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We need to get you a private jet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is just crazy! It was in the 70's here this weekend and very nice again today. I hope you made it there and back safely. That's some pretty scary weather.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Strange weather throughout the country. Hope the tooth has been fixed. Was it a temporary and your own dentist does the rest or ? Have you made it home?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.