Finishing Touches

adding binding to a Quilt of Valor
May 2021

Last week, I added the finishing touches to two Quilts of Valor. Teri S. from Iowa recently returned the QOV after she machine quilted them. I am grateful for those who have volunteered their time and talent to machine quilt all the QOV that I've made and donated. Without the volunteer longarmers, the quilts would not have been possible. 

front and back views of binding
sewn on by machine
May 2021

I used to hand-tack the binding on the back of the QOV, but about four years ago, I began sewing the binding by machine. The process is faster and far more secure. 


Comments

  1. Such. beautiful quilts Nancy. I wish I were a better quilter as I woud love to make them to donate.
    Thanks for all the advice you give on hee.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice binding! Of course it takes a steady had to sew that perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's lovely!! You do such beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice. I guess I had not realized (not being a quilter) that the binding is sewn on after the quilting is finished. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure those quilts are greatly loved by those who get one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job! So far we've been lucky to get discounts from 2 local quilters, and donations that have covered the cost. I'm hoping that QOV foundation in having better luck in finding volunteer quilters, as we couldn't even get a response to our requests a couple of years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is a great finish! Nice conclusion , isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are amazing! I'll bet those QOV folks love you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mom has started machine sewing binding, but I still prefer to do it by hand.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I forgot to mention that putting the binding on is my least favorite part of quilting. I can't put a binding on without it twisting or folding on itself. I really admire how beautifully you put yours on.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for showing the stitch you use on sewing down the binding. I like the way it looks better than the straight stitch I use.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.