Finding a Solution

August 2018
My sewing machine hasn't been used for over a month, but on Friday, I moved the pile of "stuff" around it to sew a couple of curtain hems. Most of the windows in my new apartment are covered with vertical blinds. When I bought my previous home 25 years ago, all the windows had vertical blinds, and I grew to detest them because they do not provide a lot of privacy. To my dismay, vertical blinds haven't improved much.

The master bedroom in my new apartment has a patio with a sliding door that faces a sidewalk, and outside the door is a flood light that has a motion sensor. For the first week in the apartment, I struggled getting adequate sleep, as the flood light came on frequently (there a tree near the sensor), and the vertical blinds did little to darken the room.

The only solution (other than unscrewing the bulb) was to add curtains to darken the room. I found a pair of curtain panels at a local thrift shop for $5 that I thought would block the light. I hemmed the panels and slipped them on a couple of tension rods.


I hung the "right side" of the curtains (a bold buffalo check plaid) to the outside. While it's not very attractive, these panels block the flood light completely, and I am finally getting some quality sleep. The panels also provide more privacy than the vertical blinds alone.


Comments

  1. That was a great find. There is nothing worse than being woken up every few minutes while you are trying to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice way to solve the sleep problem! Seamstresses are smart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just replaced all of our vertical blinds with curtains too. I bought thermal ones for the winter and The Mister loved them so much for their darkening that he kept the ones up in his man cave all summer. It's his favorite place for napping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where there is a will, there is a way:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that little pop of buffalo plaid!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have one set of vertical blinds in my family room on the patio door. I HATE them!! But in our previous house I put in vertical blinds that had a built in semi-sheer curtain. I loved those. Glad you found a solution.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As one who worked midnight shift for years, I understand how lighting effects our sleep. I used room darkening shades and an eye mask and STILL had trouble sleeping in the day hours...
    GLad you are sleeping Better Nancy. Sounds like the move went well

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant solution! I, too, am a person who dislikes vertical blinds intensely. It seems like everyplace we’ve moved to has had vertical blinds and they were one of the first things that had to go! I think The curtains look great and now you can finally get some sleep.
    Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't like vertical blinds either:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think they look great, I need a dark room too! Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice use of sewing and skill to solve a problem. Sleep well! I need to unclutter my sewing machine, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a great solution to your problem. We had vertical blinds in our previous home and had drapes as well for the night time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good for you dealing with the light issue. We have shutters in our bedroom that I love the look of but not the best for blocking the morning light. I sleep with an eye mask unless I plan to get up early, It works fine for me although the elastic is going to go soon on the mask...which I got on an airplane a good 20years ago! Glad the sewing machine has come out to play!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.