Kathyb's Tip

my neighbor's blooming crabapple tree
viewed from my deck
May 2017
Spring is starting to show itself in the area: trees are blooming, grass is green, and flowers are starting to show some color. With all of that growth come critters who can become a nuisance. Enter the annual wasp invasion.

Every year, I have wasp nests under my deck roof, and every year, I attack them with spray and destroy their nests. However, this year I decided to try a tip that Kathyb shared on her blog.

lunch bag inflated and hung on the deck

As I was uncovering the patio furniture, I saw that the wasps had returned and were industriously constructing their nests. They payed no heed to the single bag, but when the second bag was hung, they flew away. I haven't seen them since.

two inflated lunch bags suspended on the deck
May 2017
I hope the bags continue to do the trick, as I dislike using a pesticide.

Comments

  1. Wow what a amazing thing that they would leave because of the bags...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea!! So glad Spring has finally arrived for you! I love crabapple trees. My Grandmother had a huge one in her front yard. We had a young one for a number of years, but some disease must have gotten to it - the entire trunk rotted and it fell over! So disappointed....

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an interesting idea. We get hornets every year, with the nests under our deck and in a corner of our roof where the peaks form a protected area. Wonder if this would work under the deck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be filing that tip away for if (when?) we have wasp problems. We certainly had them at our Orlando house. They would nest deep in the fronds of our pindo palm. Both Steve and I disturbed them unknowingly and got stung. Bags are a GREAT eco solution.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic idea! I'm going to remember that for when we get our annual wasp invasion. They like under our deck too. Thanks to both of you ladies!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting. I've never heard of this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing! I will tell my brother as the wasps always end up under his deck :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! Goodbye to the wasps!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is SO awesome! I love seeing your fake wasp nests in action! You and Kathy need to give me some tips to keep the yellow jackets away!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Somehow I missed that post of Kathyb's. I wonder if the wasps think the bags are rival wasps? What a cool solution!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.