Monday, November 17, 2014

Surprise Socks



Yarn: Opal (Surprise)   I think the "surprise" is that, depending on available light, the dark color in this yarn changes from charcoal gray to green

Needles: US2

Stitches: 56

Ribbed Cuff: 6 inches

Size: Woman's 8 - 8 1/2

Some readers have asked how I match the stripes on self-striping yarn. The key is to find the point in the stripe sequence where you cast on. I always try to cast on where two colors meet so it is easier to find for the second sock. Note the small ball of yarn in the photo. This 1/2 ounce ball is what I had to remove in order to cast on for the second sock. I will use this yarn for another project.

As noted in a previous post, I use the removable marker to indicate where I began the toe, so I can quickly measure the second sock.


Do you have any tips for knitting matching socks?


7 comments:

  1. Interesting that the surprise is the color change! Better check what color it looks like in natural light before you walk out the door, eh? Wouldn't want to make a fashion mistake! LOL. The socks look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These really are a fun color changing yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have a hard time just knitting socks. Let alone matching them:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way matched socks look and usually do that when I make socks as a gift. When I make socks for myself I don't bother because I like the mismatched look for me--says the woman who as a girl would wear two socks of contrasting colors. I think family and long time friends would really laugh if they saw me in matched socks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I prefer matching things, but haven't had good luck with matching socks, despite using a similar technique to start at the same color change...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that yarn. I don't bother to match when I'm knitting socks for myself, but I do when I knit for others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really don't have any tips, they just seem to work out. Love the color of these.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...