Diversions

scrap sock yarn baby hat
February 2018
I'm only a few chapters into The Bookseller, but I can tell this is going to be a good book. Have you read it?

The last couple of weeks, while knitting and/or sewing, I read:
    New Mercies by Sandra Dallas
    67 Shots by Howard Means
    A Turn for the Bad by Sheila Connolly
    Kickback by Ace Atkins
    "B" is for Burgler by Sue Grafton
    Madam President by William Hazelgrove
    Kiss the Girls by James Patterson
    Damned If You Do by Michael Brandman

Two of the books (67 Shots and Madam President) are non-fiction. I had forgotten a lot about the Kent State shooting, and 67 Shots jogged my memory of that turbulent time in our nation's history. I learned details that were not available at the time, details that set the stage for this tragedy. Madam President opened my eyes to another historical event: our nation's first female President. Woodrow Wilson's wife Edith took on the executive role after her husband's debilitating stroke while he was in office. On physician's orders, she limited access to the President and to protect his health, and she became a liaison between the President and his advisors. Technically, Edith Wilson was President for 18 months. It was a fascinating book, and I strongly doubt that anything like this could happen in today's society.

On the knitting front, the stack of scrap, sock yarn hats is growing, and I'll probably send a package of hats to the project coordinator this week. I love using bits and dabs of yarn to knit helical strips.

Have you read any good books lately?


Comments

  1. Good ideas for some books-thanks! The new baby hat is very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You've been busy and productive. Those two non-fiction books sound great! I don't remember hearing about Edith Wilson - and you are right, that could never happen today (probably a good thing....).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am reading Eat, Pray, Love. Not my usual genre, but it's not bad.

    I've bought a few books in the last couple of weeks and I'm looking forward to parking my rump on the porch when the weather is nice and reading/knitting the day away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I normally only listen to books but since I have been volunteering at the hospital I have been taking my kindle and reading. I finish one but wouldn't give it a great rating but have started another one and may hit the mark. Will let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't listen to audio books, but I do read a lot. Most of the reading I do these days is on my Kindle app, and most is fiction. I'm a mystery fan so Grafton and Patterson are favorites. But I did just start a non-fiction account of Operation Varsity, a WWII battle that my father's unit was a part of.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m impressed by how many books you’ve read recently. I did not know that about Edith Wilson. I think you’re right, that couldn’t happen in todays society. Fascinating.
    Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those books sound fascinating. I was very struck by the Kent State shooting at the time since I lived in a college town and was participating in lots of anti war demonstrations at the time. I got tear gassed but no worse. I can't even imagine what would happen if a tragedy like that occurred in these troubled times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Mrs. E Wilson was amazing. Such a tender move on her part. I never knew this! I reread Jen hatmakers book for inspriration, on a dismal looking gray day . I love your charity knits

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love books by James Patterson, Lee Childs too. I like the kind of exciting book which is hard to put down!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the hat! I listen to Audible and have been listening to Jennifer Chiaverini books when I sew or knit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read it recently but I loved The Time Traveler's Wife. (The movie wasn't nearly as good.) I was amazed at the author as it wasn't a linear book. Because the man jumped around in time the story jumped in time. I can't imagine how anyone could plot the book out! I listen to books on Overdrive sometimes. I finished off one last night and thought, wait? THAT's the end? I had a friend at Kent State and at one time had a letter talking about her experience during that time. I wonder what I did with it???

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.