Too Early?


Over the weekend I purchased some plants for my tiny garden patch: some perennials and some annuals.  This time of year I'm anxious to dig in the dirt, but Laramie's altitude (over 7,000 ft) makes growing plants a challenge. As you can see on the graphic, the average date of the last hard frost is June 2nd, and by that time all the nursery plants have been picked over. If I don't purchase plants now, I'll be out of luck, but I don't dare plant them yet. 

I'll place them in the sun and water them during the day and move them into a sheltered area at night until at least the end of May when I will turn the soil in my tiny plot and put them into the ground. 


I'm trying to get a perennial bed started, but haven't had too much luck the last three years. This year, I'm adding two more blanket flower plants (one from two years ago survived another winter) and some salvia to attract bees. I couldn't resist the tiny geraniums (they were on a clearance rack for a $1 each), but I haven't had much luck with geraniums in this location or even in patio pots. I picked up some marigold for their cheerful yellow blooms. 

It's supposed to be in the 20s on Thursday and Friday night, so I hope my plan to keep these alive a couple of weeks works. 


Comments

  1. Nice! Always good to see flowers. I don't believe we are in danger of any more frost. It is muggy and damp now. Fletch put in our tomato plants over the weekend and planted more bean seeds in spots where the original planting did not germinate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They always say Mother's Day for planting around here, but we had a frost after that day last year. It wrecked my hostas. They looked awful all summer. :-( Hope you get some good planting days soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In terms of perennials.. maybe try some "alpine" plants. You don't have to have a rock garden, just good draining soil
    https://www.familyhandyman.com/list/best-alpines-for-your-garden/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess even though we've driven through Laramie several times recently, I didn't realize just how high it is. That's what comes of living in and around mountains for the last 30 years. Oh, how I miss the mountains of Washington and Idaho. I lived there over half my life so I guess it's normal to be a bit homesick.
    My first blooming plant flowered today. The bleeding heart. And I think I'll be harvesting some rhubarb tomorrow if I have the energy. I'm still not feeling well with this no voice/cough/cold thing.
    Take care my dear friend.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I’m pretty sure we are past last freeze here. It’s hitting 80 here today. I hope you get to enjoy your flowers this summer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.