Monday, December 14, 2009

Blessing in Disguise

Last week's cold weather was a true blessing in disguise.



Wednesday night I grabbed a frozen dinner from the deep freeze in the garage, and when my hand brushed against a loaf of bread that was soft, I knew I had a problem. Since the electrical breaker and outlet were fine, it was obvious the chest freezer had died. I wasn't really surprised because the freezer was over 29 years old: it had been faithful for nearly 10,602 days.

I worried that the contents of the entire freezer would have to be discarded. I tossed thawed vegetables and pizza, fruit and soups from the top of the freezer, but the meat at the bottom was still frozen solid. I put some of the packages of beef in my side-by-side in the house and the rest in a plastic garbage can.  I set the can outside the garage door where the sub-zero and frigid temperatures would keep the contents from thawing until I could find a replacement freezer.

By Thursday evening the meat was back in the garage safely tucked in the new freezer. Hopefully, this one will serve me as faithfully as the old one.

I was fortunate the old freezer died in the winter when I had a natural alternative for keeping the meat frozen. I am fortunate that I was home and discovered the problem.

Do you have an extra freezer? Have you checked it lately?

4 comments:

  1. That was lucky! It is never cold enough here to use the outdoors as a freezer, though in the summer, I've often wondered about using the outdoors as an oven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The same thing happened to my parents a couple of weeks ago! Their 40 year old freezer died so I suppose for that reason it was good we didn't get above 20 degrees!

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad you were able to replace the old freezer and didnt lose any meat..
    have a nice rest of the day..

    ReplyDelete
  4. See your luck has SO changed! wow. Great that is happened in the cold winter! What a lucky brush with bread!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly: pinnut3200@yahoo.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...