Seeing the Unusual

Love Birds balloon
Riverton Rendezvous Balloon Rally
July 2018
The 38th Rendezvous Balloon Rally was held last weekend. My niece, Brenda drove up from Denver again this year to see the balloons. Last year, I ambled among the gentle giants with a cane, as it was less than a month following my knee surgery.

This year only 19 balloons were featured because Casper's rally was moved to the same weekend because of a scheduling snag with their launch field. Reportedly, half the original balloons went to the Casper balloon rally. Even though the launch field at CWC had fewer balloons, it was a fun event. I was surprised three of the balloons were from Canada: they proudly flew the Maple Leaf.

The "character" balloon this year was the adorable love birds, shown above. It was massive.

While waiting for the love birds to be inflated, Brenda and I watched two gentleman playing frisbee with some young boys. It wasn't so much the game that caught our eye, but what the men were wearing.

In this expansive state filled with cowboys, kilts are not generally worn, 
so the two men turned many heads on Saturday.




Comments

  1. Looks like it was a fun time and not too sure about kilts:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to know the story behind the kilts.
    Looks like a fun time, I love the lovebird balloons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love a man in a quilt. Hoping to spot a few in Scotland

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwwwwwwww...sweet lovebird balloon.

    I haven't seen anyone in a kilt here (yet), but in Jacksonville, Florida it apparently was a *thing*. We lived in the historic district which is adjacent to the *arts* district --- lots of funk and a few kilts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet aloon! I’m sorry that you didn’t get to see more because of the scheduling conflict, but this one alone would’ve been worth the trip don’t you think? I think Wyoming is a lot like Montana and Eastern Washington. The kilts would definitely turn some heads here too. I would love to know the story behind them. Blessings always,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pictures. Glad you could do the event this year sans cane!! I don't think I've ever seen a guy in a kilt other than on TV or pictures - not up close and personal in "real" life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those big balloons. We don't see them much anymore. We used to even have blimps go over from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute balloon! Oh I like men in shorts or a kilt...my husband will wear neither:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love balloon launches. There is one about an hour from us in August and I hope to attend. The love bird balloon is pretty special.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That would be a fun event!
    I've never been up in one, but I've always wanted too. My great grandma (now deceased) went up in one for her 80th birthday (a present from her children). She loved it so much she saved up to do it again for her 85th birthday. She died a few years after that, but she always said she was thrilled to have done it twice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The balloon event had to be so interesting! The kilts was a fun thing to spot! I wonder what the story was?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That lovebird balloon is beautiful. I love there will kilts at the event mixing it up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fun! We have a local knit shop where one of the owners often wears a kilt; he also subbed at our choir once wearing same..... Scottish heritage, I think......

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.