Foreign Friday

Sumiko-san
Receptionist at Robert D. Edgren High School
Misawa AFB, Japan
1979
Sumiko-san was the first person to greet me when I entered the main school building every morning: "Ohayou gozaimasu, Nancy-san!"

It was from Sumiko-san that I learned the basic Japanese greetings:
"Ohayou gozaimasu" - good morning
"Sumi masen" - excuse me (to get attention)
"Gomen nasai" - pardon me
"Domo - Arigato" - thank you very much
"Arigato" - thank you
"Domo" - informal thank you
"Konnichiwa" - good afternoon
"Konbanwa" - good evening

Sumiko-san is a part of my first quilt
Memories of Sumiko-san are lovingly stitched into my first quilt.

Sumiko-san and many others made my two years at Edgren and Japan a pleasant and memorable adventure. "Domo - Arigato, Sumiko-san!"

Comments

  1. We've lived in a lot of places and I've found it's always the people that make living there a good or bad experience. Nice memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, so nice. I'm impressed you still have the key phrases memorized.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely lady with a pretty smile! Lovely memories too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember that quilt it is lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That picture of her is so cute. I love how you incorporated her into your first quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. special people really drive the best memories

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. That quilt square is lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.