Monday, June 24, 2013

Lucky Stripe Socks

Lucky Stripe Socks
 56 stitches - knit on size 2 circular needles
This "pattern" has been in my Ravelry queue for a couple of years. Before I went to Denver, I grabbed two skeins of sock yarn from my stash and divided each skein into two balls. Before I started, I determined that the heels and toes would be knit with whichever yarn I was using at that point.

I didn't use the actual Lucky Stripe Socks pattern: I used my old stand-by and tossed the die to determine the number of rows to knit with each yarn. Even though one of the skeins was already a self-striping yarn, the stripes were clearly visible. Someday, I'll knit the socks with two solid or semi-solid yarns.

These Lucky Stripes Socks are going to be as much fun to wear as they were to knit.


Not a sock knitter? This method of striping can also be used for hats, sweaters, etc. I recommend grabbing a die to "shake up" your knitting. It's fun and unpredictable.

13 comments:

  1. I've used that method before on hats. It really is fun and the stripes always turn out perfectly random and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! Considering they are *random* they look remarkably alike.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them Nancy. i will have to try that method. ROlling the dice make them sooooo cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't knit, but if I did, I would knit socks like this all the time! Hmmm...why don't I knit? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're very cute and happy. I need to knit some socks again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are darling! I just put them in my queued folder on Ravelry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The socks are wonderful!! I love the way the tops fold down. How long are the tops? I always seem to stop a little too short of fold-over perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another bright and flashy pair of socks, Nancy? You've really turned a corner on sock yarns!! These are very cute! I think you'll have fun wearing them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a neat idea! I love the way your socks look.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why would you ever want to knit with a solid colored yarn when you have get wonderful stripes like that? You always get the striping just right.

    ReplyDelete
  11. fun - a die. Who woulda thunk it? Those socks are beautiful. I need to play with the self striping yarns more - very inspiring. g

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun idea! Nice socks, too.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...