Jimmy Beans Wool

Jimmy Beans Wool store
Reno, NV
September 2012
One of my goals on a recent trip was visiting Jimmy Beans Wool (JBW). Even though JBW had a booth in the vendor's mall, I wanted to see their actual store and the variety of yarns that they stock. Friday evening, Nina (Julie's Ravelry friend) drove us to JBW and requested a tour of the warehouse.

I've ordered online from JBW for years, and it was a treat to meet the staff and see how they process the online orders. One of the girls accommodated Nina's request and gave us a behind the scenes tour of the warehouse and shipping departments.
long rows of shelving held the yarn inventory
Each box had a color-coded label, and the end of the shelving
was also labelled to aid those who fill orders. From the list, you
 can see that the yarns are listed in alphabetical order
Note the blue shopping cart used by person pulling an order to contain
each order. JBW is careful to pull orders with the same dye-lot, and
if they do not have enough skeins, the customer is contacted. The girl at
the computer in the foreground is checking orders.
These two workers check the order and put it in envelopes or boxes.
Check out that huge roll of bubble wrap!
Just outside the warehouse, mailing labels are attached to the packages.
JBW recently began selling quilting fabric. While only a small amount is
 on display in the store, the warehouse was well stocked with mostly
modern prints.The fabric is cut to the customer's specifications in the
warehouse. I took a photo of the cutting table (just visible in the left corner
of this photo), but that image is too blurry to post. 
Our tour guide (center) answered our questions and was delightful. 
Nina, me, Julie, Nancy, Cheryl
Jimmy Beans Wool
Reno, NV
September 2012
Seeing the JBW warehouse was a great adventure, and before leaving, I purchased two skeins of Noro Sock Yarn and a skein of Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock.

Thank you, Nina for taking us to JBW and for requesting the tour.

Comments

  1. Oooooooo.... what fun! I'm impressed with your restraint... only 2 types of yarn? Very good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. FUN FUN times. Glad you made a purchase. You KNOW i love LORNAS laces sock yarns........

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! There is yarn EVERYWHERE! I hate to say it, I really do, but that place looks even better than Webs. Wow, I never thought I would say that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like so much fun. Don't you just love to go behind the scenes and see what's behind closed doors. Thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that's some wool shop! I haven't seen skeins of wool like that for many years.
    Tell me is all that wool sourced in America? I think of NZ as a wool growing country but not the States.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. You take the best trips! How much fun you have!! Thanks for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have never known to ask for a tour. How cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Behind the scenes is always so fun! And this place looks so clean and organized! That's a huge plus when you think 'where is my wool coming from'......someplace clean and tidy, you hope!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Neat! Thanks for taking us with you. I would never have thought to ask for a tour either!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your trip looks like so much fun! I've always wanted to go to Jimmy Beans.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.