Using Fabric Strings

hot pads and coaster
Last week, Mary H. showed the sewing group her technique in making coasters and bowls using clothesline and fabric strips. I have several of Mary's coasters and have admired the bowls she's made and was thrilled when I heard the September program was learning the technique.

I made the light blue table pad the day of the class, and the large hot pad (9 x 13") and a mug coaster (5") when I got home.

I haven't tried making a bowl yet, but I will soon. Thank you Mary for a fun class.

The coaster technique is explained here and the bowl technique is explained here.



Comments

  1. Always using up things and making wonderful things....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just admiring rag rugs in a apple barn shop. GOod for you

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are nice. I need some new hot mats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've watched others make these, but haven't attempted one myself yet. This would be a great project for a fabric with pretty colors but an ugly print. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I haven't done the project with clotheline, but I have crocheted rugs with old sheets and have been using them for over 20 years. They still look as good as new. Very easy and makes me feel good to reuse sheets when they get old and holey!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great scrap buster. I've done a bowl but really don't have much need for them so I didn't make but one. I might look at doing something flat though. Nice inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun idea! Have you ever made t-shirt yarn?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic! These have been on my bucket list for ages!!!!
    You did a great job on yours! Are you going to make more?
    Did you like it?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A friend made me one of the bowls. I love it. :-)

    I can't wait to see yours if you decide to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would like to make a bowl, my cousin had one and I thought it would be fun to make. Maybe someday

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.