Foreign Friday

Speech contest
Towada City, Japan
Fall 1979
The local Japanese school hosted an annual English speech contest where the students recited memorized passages in English to a panel of judges. I was invited to judge the first year that I was in Japan. The contest was an opportunity to see the inside of a Japanese school, and I was delighted to accept the offer.

Note the various uniforms the students are wearing, the green chalk board and the posters on the wall. These students attended school six days a week.

Comments

  1. I like uniforms in schools and those are very neat. I think that would have been a fun contest to judge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Six days a week? Between that and their discipline, no wonder they take giant leaps in becoming excellent students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea! Im going to suggest Zach do this. He works hard on Good Spanish Speaking skills with his students!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder if they still go to school 6 days a week? Great way to encourage their language skills too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hum, did they give you a rubric? Probably not all those years ago.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.