Refinished Treasure

Refinished Oak Buffet
I have refinished several pieces of old furniture, but this oak buffet was probably my favorite one to refinish. The buffet was left by the previous owners in the basement of the house on Bighorn that Marilyn and Harold purchased in the mid-1960s. They moved the buffet to the farm where it was stored in an old trailer house until the early 1980s when I asked if I could have the piece. I spent many hours stripping the thick, dark finish off which allowed the beautiful oak grain to be revealed. Then I hand-rubbed many coats of tung oil over the surface until it gleamed.

It was missing some hardware for the top drawers, so I replaced them with porcelain knobs. There should be a mirror across the back of the buffet, but it was missing, which is probably why the previous owners left it in the basement.

The bottom section of the buffet houses the Noritake china that I purchased while in Japan, the long center drawer is where I store table linens, and the small top drawers hold stationery, batteries, and assorted junk.

I love this piece but would love to know more of its history.

Do you know the history behind the antique/vintage furniture that you treasure?


Comments

  1. It is just gorgeous, and that oiled finish just shines. I have my MIL's old 1880's Victorian style dresser, and it was keep in her back room forever. We love it, and I store some linens in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful piece and beautifully restored. I love the swirly nature of the wood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely piece of furniture. I am so glad to see something that doesn't have a coat of chalk paint on it! I have a lot of antiques in my house that have been handed down for generations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great job you did....It is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful piece! I do know some of the history of the antiques in my home and can thank my mom for making sure I knew. My parents had a house full of lovely antique furniture and unfortunately I had to sell most of it because I had nowhere to put it in my tiny home and couldn't afford storage fees. Now - 25 years later - I sure wish I had some of those pieces back in my possession.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All your work really paid off on this piece; it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a few pieces from my Grandparent's home - my favorite is the rocking chair :) Lots of babies were rocked to sleep in that chair (Grandma & Grandpa had 15 children). I also have their buffet and dining room table and chairs. Your buffet is just beautiful! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have an old desk and a buffet that I bought in an estate sale in Germany. I have always wondered about the history. The woman I bought them from was from East Germany (this was the early 70's) and came across the border to sell her sister's belongings after her passing. She didn't speak English at all and I spoke broken German at best, so the only information I could get about the pieces was that they were very old. It was interesting that they would not let her take the furniture, or the money she got from selling it, back across the border. She donated everything to a children's home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely piece of furniture! You did a great job! I love your blue plates too it all goes together perfectly! I have some old stuff with family history...not sure that it will be important to anyone. :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's beautiful you did a lovely job. I think I'd still prefer it without the mirror. We don't really have anything antique or vintage. Just our own hodgepodge of stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nancy that is simply gorgeous. I love the way you brought out the wood grains.
    I know our IRISH table was an import from horse country County Kildare.
    I know a small dresser we have was buried in the Chicago fire...

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful piece! You've done a wonderful job restoring it. I love old furniture - it has such character and I always wish I knew the story of the piece.
    About 10 years ago, we were shopping for a piano for our girl and her piano teacher gave us the name of a gentleman who was selling one. Turns out it was a 1913 Bush & Lane and it is my favorite piece we own. Our girl wants it when she has her own home, but for the time being, it is still with us and I am tempted to learn how to play it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.