Back in Time - Photography Assignment

Bruce M.
approx. 1982
The summer I returned from Japan and accepted a position to teach English and sponsor the school's yearbook, I took a photography class at the local community college. That summer, nearly everyone on the farm became a "model" for the various photography assignments.

My nephew travelled from North Dakota to work on Grandma Rosie's dairy farm for a few summers. In addition to milking cows, Bruce fed calves and the cows, irrigated, and worked in the fields.

The calves in the pen behind Bruce are just a few of those who were bucket fed twice a day. The heifers were raised for the dairy herd, and the bull calves were castrated when they were branded. Those steers were then fattened to take to the sale barn in Riverton. Each year, one steer was taken to Farmer's Packing in Kinnear to be butchered. Nothing tastes better than beef from your own herd.

Comments

  1. Just think of how many teens never have that kind of experience. I think it's good for kids to have hard physical work and also to know where their food comes from. It's a great photo and reminds me of growing up on our dairy farm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so true that few have that kind of experience. I had the opportunity to be on a farm because of my mothers side and I cherish it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He looks happy to be your model. I agree that he received invaluable experiences, coming to Rosie's dairy farm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He does look pretty content doesn't he? And you've captured so many great memories with those assignments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. he looks happy and proud to be your subject! Love the muck boots. Nothing better than beef you raise and you know what they have been fed:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. WELL THAT'S interesting. I've never heard anyone say that about eating their herd! I'm glad

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some of my favorite memories are from the times I stayed at my grandparents' farm,once alone and then once with my sister. It was great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your old pictures! That's a hard working young man and those are good looking cows and calves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad that an assignment could turn into such a great way of capturing memories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Or milk from your very own "ladies". My Uncle John always called his cows either the "ladies" or his "girls". When he whistled they knew that it was time to come in.

    ReplyDelete
  11. P.S. There is NOTHING cuter than baby Holsteins.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.