Finding Joy in the Hunt

Browsing through thrift shops is one of my favorite activities: I enjoy the hunt for specific items as well as items that sometimes catch my eye. Many people don't like to go into thrift shops because they can be jammed with clothes and dishware and are often not the cleanest places. However, an observant and patient shopper can find real treasures.

In the past, I have found Longaberger baskets, new clothes with the tags attached, gently used, quality products from Lands End, LL Bean, C.J. Banks, Cold Water Creek, Pendleton, Woolrich, etc. - all things that I purchased for considerably less than retail.

Last week, I stopped to donate a few items at a local thrift shop and made a tour through the store. I found a nice, cotton blouse for summer, a book, and some new knitting needles.

Out of curiosity, I perused a stack of souvenir plates from someone's travels, and at the bottom of the stack was a plate that I simply had to purchase because it was so beautiful and because I thought the $1 price was fair.
Wild Turkeys
Native American
Windsor Ware

It wasn't until I got home that I looked at the back of the plate. I had never heard of Windsor Ware or Johnson Brothers, so I searched online. Oh my, this beautiful plate was listed on Replacements Ltd. for considerably more than I paid. Not bad for an afternoon of thrifting.


Comments

  1. You have a good eye for spotting treasures. Enjoy your finds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Great score! That will make a nice addition to your Thanksgiving table.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOw FUN .. Sometimes , rarely I find and FIND. I love your turkey plate.....!!!!
    My best find was a painted picture that the artist wanted back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great find! It's sure fun to do a little research and discover a bit of history or the actual value... and in this case, it sounds like you made a good score!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That plate is gorgeous! What a find! I love thrift shops....you just never know what you'll find! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thrift shops are my DH's favorite place to shop for sweaters. The first time I went with him I discovered that many of the sweaters were constructed in such a way that the wool can be reclaimed and reused. After frogging and a good soak the yarn is almost as good as new. I have even found cashmere to reclaim!!

    Congratulations on your great plate find and hooray for thrift shops!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow! Isn't it fun to find surprise treasures? My mother almost donated her complete set of Dixie Dogwood dishes (which are surprisingly worth a bit) to Goodwill, I snapped them up for my new apartment just in time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great find! I love the element of surprise that I get shopping in thrift stores.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice. I like that plate...and what a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a GREAT find! I aspire to thrift.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I recognized that pattern immediately from other blogs...great find.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tis a beautiful plate!! I would have bought it too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a treasure!!! Well spotted you!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous!!! What a great find.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.