Foreign Friday

Kay Schneider, Marie Friccohne, Donna Schuerman
Robert D. Edgren High School Teacher's Lounge
Spring 1980
As I write this, teachers are probably either preparing lessons for classes already in session or preparing to return to the classroom after their summer break. No doubt they gather in the teacher's workroom/lounge in the morning before heading to their classrooms.
Donna Schuerman, Al Harmon, Lorianne Berlin
Robert D. Edgren High School Teacher's Lounge
Spring 1980
I have never seen a tidy teacher's lounge/workroom. Tables always seem to be strewn with piles of papers, books, boxes/plates of treats, and possibly clusters of coffee cups/mugs. Mrs. Berlin, the guidance counselor at Edgren shown on the right, holds a fistful of pencils for one of the standardized tests that were administered by the DODDS (Dept. of Defense Schools) every Spring. She explains the day's testing schedule and procedure to the Art teacher before first period. Note the cubbies for coffee cups to the left, and of course, the boxes of donuts on the table.
Roy Sargent and Peggy Vaughn enjoy a treat in the
Teachers' Lounge before beginning a day of administering tests. 

Comments

  1. Good luck to all teachers and students as they begin the new school year. I'm out of the loop about most school events now that my children are grown, but I do know classes started on Monday in our area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet glimpses of the teachers lounge. I always considered it off-limits, forbidden territory...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all your Foreign Friday posts.
    Love the messy table. I'm going to miss my grands when they start school again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tis the season. A teacher friend of ours started classes last week and when we saw her on the weekend she had a glassy, far-away look in her eyes. She was shell shocked already. What a powerful, brave group teachers are! I salute all teachers, active and retired. You are the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pictures of the lounge make me think of all the good times we spent there, whether it be laughing, singing happy birthdays, teasing, commiserating, or eating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heehee, I don't know why but I love the last photo, it is just so prefect. I'm definitely heading for days of messy desks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our kids here started back to school on Aug. 8th!! Sheesh... almost no summer vacation any more. Standardized tests... UGHHH! Not a fun time for a kindergarten and 1st grade teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you teach there at one time? I never saw a tidy teachers' lounge either. Sure was glad when they quit being smokey though!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.