Mt. Moran

Mt. Moran
Teton Range in northwest Wyoming
January 2012

Mount Moran was named in honor of Thomas Moran, an American landscape painter, who helped inspire the movement to preserve the most beautiful parts of the country's wilderness and to create a national park system. Moran accompanied a geological survey team into the wilderness (the unknown Yellowstone area), and his sketches were used to convince Congress to turn Yellowstone into the first national park.

You can see one of his paintings in this 2009 post.

Comments

  1. National parks are very special places. I'm so thankful we have them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad some visionaries had the presence of mind to preserve wild spaces that development couldn't touch...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is amazing how people wanted to preserve parks...back when there was so much land! Thank goodness they did!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I want to travel back out West again! There is no greater beauty than the northern part of the U.S. Rocky Mountains. The Yellowstone area is the most awesome beauty I have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. just so lovely. Fireman and I are trying to plan a trip to the Sequoia's and Yosemite in august for our 30th anniversary...I want a camper....he says thats romanticizing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet it's even better in person!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.