Iconic Arch

Jackson, WY
May 5, 2011

Chances are when Jackson, WY is mentioned four thoughts come to mind: Grand Teton National Park, downhill skiingNational Elk Refuge, and the antler arches on the Town Square corners.

The four arches have been visible in the Town Square since 1960 and are made from elk antlers. Every year over 5,000 elk winter in the National Elk Refuge northeast of Jackson. The bulls shed their antlers each Spring, and the discarded horns are then gathered by the local Boy Scouts to be sold at public auction in the Square each May with 80% of the proceeds returned to the refuge for feed, research, and management. Ten to eleven thousand pounds of antlers are sold annually.

Artists use the antlers to create chandeliers and other works of art like these large wreaths hanging on a store front in Jackson.

All four of the Jackson Town Square arches were built by the Rotary Club. The arches were replaced in the last decade with the antlers from the old structures sold at auction.


Comments

  1. I never knew that. Thanks for this great introduction into Jackson, WY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love antler art. In Cody you see trucks LOADED with sheds in the spring. Many people just trek through the area looking for them. But the art is $$$$$.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this...I have never been there and I am inpressed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very Interesting! We are planning trips to visit every state...so this kind of info is great....we will know where to stop and visit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fascinating.....Nancy I knew nothing of this. Amazing archway of antlers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a lot of antlers! I wonder if local merchants marked up the price of their antler art after the arch sold for over $50,000?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was impressed, but not with all the people in Jackson..plus I always knew it as Jackson Hole. It sure is touristy..I do like the antler art..and you have given me an idea for a wreath:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting. Wouldn't know they were antlers at first glance!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.