Out To Lunch


Over thirty years ago, I met Kathy and Tom. She was a single, first-year teacher, and he was a single, engineer at the power plant being built nearby. The construction of the power plant caused the school's population to soar and created jobs in the small town. Many single teachers and single workers flocked to fill the available positions. (I was a "veteran" teacher with an impressive four years experience.)

The energy that the new hires brought to the school was contagious, and we soon formed a group that we called Out to Lunch or OTL.

Every one in the group had a cup with the group's logo on one side and their nickname on the other side.

We had regular meetings at a small bar, the Landmark (its name is part of the "L" on the cup. We took trips into the mountains, attended mountain dances, gathered around camp fires with a couple of guitars and sang. We hiked, picnicked, skied, and partied. We had a blast.

Tom and Kathy ultimately married and moved around the United States as Tom's job demands changed. They settled in Colorado about 12 years ago.

Once the group gathered for a reunion, but I slowly lost contact with many OTL members. Kathy and Tom have maintained contact with me, and last week, we met for lunch at the Cheesecake Factory. We spent nearly two hours catching up on each other's lives.

I commented to my sister that the conversation flowed freely almost like the years apart hadn't happened.

That afternoon, I glimpsed the joy and carefree attitude of my youth, but I cherish the lasting friendships that began so long ago.


Comments

  1. I'M GLAD YOU HAD FUN. I HAVE A FRIEND FROM MY YOUTH AND WE ARE THE SAME WAY. WE DON'T KEEP IN TOUCH AS MUCH AS I'D LIKE BUT WHEN WE TALK IT'S LIKE WE TALKED 30 MINUTES AGO. I'LL GET HER ON MY MIND FOR A FEW DAYS AND CALL HER ONLY TO FIND OUT THAT SOMETHING IS WRONG AND SHE TELLS ME SHE HAS BEEN THINKING ABOUT ME TO. SHE CAN MAKE THINGS SEEM RIGHT AND BRIGHT EVEN WHEN THEIR NOT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounded like a really fun time in your life. Friends are the best.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.