I Miss. . .

Is it just me, or does it bother anyone else that people talk loudly and openly on cell phones about very private matters. It is nearly impossible to not eavesdrop on their conversations.

I Miss. . . telephone booths - places where people actually went to talk privately. I wish I had taken photos of the phone booths that used to be scattered around my community.

I Miss. . .pay telephones. Does everyone really have their own cell phone? Have you ever tried to find a pay telephone in your area? They are becoming more and more scarce. I know there is one in the hospital lobby, but frankly, that is the only place that I've actually seen one in my community. Even this phone is in an open area with only a box on the wall surrounding it, no privacy at all.

Cell phones have given us freedom, but they have robbed us of our sense of privacy.

Two phone booths at a rest area
on Route 30 just outside Mansfield, Ohio
photo by scottamus on Flikr

Comments

  1. For the past almost 5 years, my only phone has been a cellphone now. I admit that I do talk in public with it, but if I ever had to talk about something that is private, I just tell the person I need to call them back. I hardly see any phonebooths around my area, either, now that I think about it. I might have to search hard to find one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't have said it better! One evening in a restaurant my husband and I got up and moved because the lady next to us decided to make her cell phone conversation her dinner company.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I the convenience stores still have pay phones on their premises in our area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well put, Nancy. When my husband and I are out and about, we never cease to be amazed by the drivers, as well as their passengers, who are busy talking on cell phones.

    It's not uncommon while sitting at traffic lights to look over and see a vehicle with multiple occupants, all with cell phones up to their ears! Do families even talk to each other anymore....other than on their phones, I mean? :-o

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.