PH Awareness Month

November is Pulmonary Hypertension (PH) Awareness Month, so throughout the month, I will be posting information about this disease that changed my life dramatically in 2003.

Today's PH tidbit:

Pulmonary Hypertension is often not diagnosed in a timely manner because its early symptoms can often be attributed to those of many other conditions. Some of the symptoms of PH include:

Chest pain
Breathlessness
Low energy
Dizziness and fainting
Swollen ankles and legs
Bluish lips and skin

These symptoms may seem common and simple, but they severely impair a PH patient's ability to lead a normal life. Simple activities like walking, dressing oneself, and cleaning can become difficult to perform. Thus, a normal, healthy-looking individual might be incapable of some basic functions due to PH.

More information can be found at Pulmonary Hypertension Association.

Comments

  1. Oh wow, Nancy! A fellow KH member, lactosefree, just had a lung and heart transplant...after being diagnosed with this disease this summer. She has a blog set up in which she is chronicling her recovery. You can find the blog here: http://immunosuppressed.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments. I'm so glad to find Blogs of women in my generation. I will be interested to get educated about PH.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nancy,

    I just read your comment on my blog and left you a response, but wanted to drop in and say hi. I've been reading through your blog and see that you're an avid knitter. I love that you buy sweaters at thrift stores to recycle the yarn. I will have to try it some day. My knitting blog is http://lactosefree.wordpress.com if you want to take a gander.

    Susan (lactosefree) :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you're going to do this because I know almost nothing about PH.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like wool winder, I also know next to nothing about this disease. I appreciate the education!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.