September Pillow Talk

September and cooler temperatures blew into Wyoming last night. The house shuddered from the wind gusts, and this morning the lawn was littered with fallen leaves and branches. A light rain fell periodically all day, and now the sun is shining.

I knit my way through the dreary day and listened to Tall Grass by Sandra Dallas, a book that I highly recommend. The reader (or listener) feels like a member of the Stroud family. I was drawn in by the description of the farmhouse and the surrounding fields. It brought back memories of my childhood and my family home. The narrator is a young girl that the dad calls, Squirt. She is much like Scout in To Kill a Mockingbird.

Tall Grass shows how a Japanese internment camp brings out the best and worst in its community. Wyoming also had an internment camp during World War II, and I am sure the communities surrounding Heart Mountain went through the same struggles as those in the community in this book.


This page gives you an idea of camp activities and some of the conditions at Heart Mountain.

While a part of me understands why the leaders during this time period felt the need to build the camps, I am ashamed of the camps and how the Japanese Americans were treated. Many people are not aware that these camps existed, and others chose to ignore their existence. I am saddened that Wyoming played a role in these historical camps.

I completed two wool sweaters for the fall afghans for Afghans Youth Campaign and will mail them tomorrow. While listening to Tall Grass and knitting, I prayed that the recipients of the sweaters would be protected from war and from the ignorance of prejudice. World Peace is possible, and we each have a role to play.

Comments

  1. Nancy, I am most intrigued by that book now! I was well into adulthood before I learned about internment camps in the US. I guess the history books hadn't had time to be updated since WW2 by the time I was a youngster in school, and I don't recall family ever talking about the war. I believe I recall my husband telling me there was a camp here for German POW's. He grew up in this area, and I didn't.

    The sweaters are lovely and that is a wonderful thing you're doing, praying over their recipients.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the book recommendation. Hopefully our library has a copy. I began reading the excerpt and now I'm hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never listened to books on tape, what a great idea to do that while stitching. Gonna check it out. Love the sweaters you're working on. I've popped in before for a visit, hope you'll do the same.

    Guidepost sweaters are on my list and I need to find where on your blog your discuss the seamless way to make on.

    Sadly, very fall like here today, has been for the last couple. I always hate to see and feel summer come to an end. I like being outside, seeing the flowers etc. When falls comes everything dyes and there's less color. Until the trees turn naturally. That's always pretty.

    Have a great week, glad to make my way to your blog again.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.